Sunday, November 11, 2007

On the Genealogy of Morals A Polemical Tract

While Nietzsche's article is little tough to read through, it does ultimately explain the genealogy of the meaning of good and evil. First, Nietzsche begins explaining that good and evil vary from person to person, that they cannot be given one clear definition. Then he explains that good is a word associated more often with high society and aristocracy, and that evil is a word associated with low class and things that are common. I don't know if I totally agree with that, however. I think often times we often associate very very high society to be "evil," most people members of high society being very haughty, when that is not always the case. On the other hand, I do not view all members of high society being good either. I think those definitions vary person to person, just as Nietzsche was explaining in the beginning of his genealogy.

No comments: